It has been a few months since the last blog post from my hand. In that post I’ve told a little bit about a second project I was probably going to work on. I eventually got a second project; however, it was not at the bank.
Project Part I
I was sent to Kosice, Slovakia, for a Siebel configuration training, which was really cool. After this trip, which was intensive and relaxing at the same time, it was time to put what I learned into practice at my second project. Once again, I am at a government project. This time the project is in The Hague – or to be more specific – in Rijswijk. Unfortunately it took a full month to get all account credentials required to install the Siebel software necessary, as I was eager to put my training into practice. Of course it always takes a little while before one is to be able to start on a project, but the installment of the software caused quite a large delay. Finally, at the 15th of June, I got my credentials, with which I was allowed to install the Siebel Tools and Client on my working station.
Project Part II
By now already two months have past since my Siebel training, but still I have not been able to get some hands on experience with the tools. To make a long story short: even the Siebel training could not have prepared me for the assignment, as I immediately got a task that was really specific to the IND (Informatie en Naturalisatie Dienst). It was quite a hard task, to start with; I was literally thrown into the deep. Luckily, I could start making a workflow, which was the thing I liked the most during the training period. Even though specifications where not clearly written down, and sometimes even missing, in the end I managed to pass the test. I had to devise a workflow with four query couples, ending up in eight(!!) queries for specific cases and fields in the application.
To make it even more interesting I also had to add some steps which compared the results of two query couples, based on some data, and store these temporarily to be compared in the end with yet another result of a query couple comparison.
Even though it took me a little longer than planned, in the end I could be quite proud that I managed to finish the task with just a little help sometimes from some of the colleagues here. We work with the AGILE/Scrum methodology on the project, and have a daily stand up every day. This really helps to get a clear view of what everybody on the team is doing. It also makes it easier to ask for advice when you struggle with something on your task. At this moment we are working on the second release. I have got a nice set of tasks, which will keep me busy for the coming period. All in all I can say I am happy with the project I am on at the moment, even though it features quite a lot of travelling by public transport and staying in a hotel during the week.
If you read my story carefully you might have noticed that there is gap in the time line… Between my training and my first task it was time for a well deserved holiday break to South America and Sweden! As you might understand, as the title says, I have been stacking up on frequent flyer miles this summer, and with a project in Rijswijk this will not quickly come to an end.